Top 10 Tuesday – Books That Will Make You Swoon

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Oooh, such temptation I had to fight on this one! My problem is there are a lot of books that make me swoon, but it isn’t the whole book that does it, just one or two characters. For instance, The Girl in the Steel Corset as a whole did not make me swoon. In fact, I gave it an abysmal rating. But Jack Dandy is swoontastic. Siege & Storm had lots of emotional and relational drama, but it wasn’t a swoony book (more of a crush-my-heart book.) But boy oh boy did Sturmhond make me swoon.

That said, below are ten books that made me swooooooon. The relationships present may not be the main focus of the story (I like a lot of action garnished with swooning), but they’re sure to keep you engaged from beginning to end.

The Crown of Embers/The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson – HECTOOOOOOR! While I love The Girl of Fire and Thorns, the last two books is when Hector really comes into his own.

Alienated by Melissa Landers – Cara and Aelyx are freaking adorable. If you loved the classic Original Disney Channel Movies as a kid, you’ll love this book and the swoontastic moments between Cara and her alien exchange student housemate.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge – Unlike most people, I wasn’t in full-blown flails over this book, but I will say that it has romance out the wazoo. Ignifex, for all his faults, is one sexy dude, and I love watching two people go from I-hate-you-DIE-SCUM to self-sacrificing gestures.

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner – Lilac and Tarver are perfect together. PERFECT, I SAY. There’s nothing like a survival trek across an alien planet to bring two cute kids together.

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers – If you haven’t met Gavriel Duval, you haven’t lived. I’m just sayin’. This entire book is one sexy beast. Death and subterfuge and politics and bravery and love and swooooooooonnnnnnsssss. Also, the next two books in the series are just as fantastic and focus on couples just as amazing as Ismae and Duval (IF NOT MORE SO), so you definitely want to get started.

King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner – KoA is not a romance, but it has in it THE. BEST. ROMANCE. OF. ALL. TIME. This is not a claim I make lightly. The couple here is my OTP and probably the most adult of all the couples I adore, for they are not perfect nor will they ever be, but they deliberately choose to be what the other needs in all things.

Throne of Glass novellas by Sarah J. Maas – Yeah, yeah, you’ve all got your favorite pairing from the books, but if you haven’t read the prequel novellas, you’re missing out.

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater – Don’t get me wrong, the first book has some swoons, too, but TDT leaves them in the dust. Each one of the Aglionby boys take turns in melting and breaking my heart. Ronan just… and then Adam… but then NOAH… and GANSEY!! Gah.

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill – Again, this is a fast-paced, rock-em-sock-em type of book, but the romance is swoontastic. And if you need any more encouragement, check out the 160-character Twitter fictions Cristin put up a few days back.

Plus One by Elizabeth Fama – Oh gosh. Fate and French, galaxies and murmurations. The two main characters are lovely together and have lush names like Soleil and D’Arcy. How can I not approve of that?

And a bonus GIF!:

For more info on some of my favorite swoony books, check out this older TTT on my favorite romances!

18 Responses to Top 10 Tuesday – Books That Will Make You Swoon

1. Lee February 11, 2014 at 3:37 am #

I love how you ended this post…that GIF is to die for. Love that scene, love that movie, love that actor. This list is great and I admit I haven’t read many of the books you’ve highlighted but I have to get on it…Grave Mercy has been on my Kindle for ages. Great list!

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:08 am #

Ooooh, definitely start with Grave Mercy since you have it and go from there!

2. Jessica February 11, 2014 at 6:21 am #

Alienated has been moved even higher up on my TBR pile after reading how many people thought the romance was swoon worthy! And I have not read The Thief yet… Probably need to try it eventually, huh? (Totally know your answer to this question) 😉
    Jessica recently posted…Top Ten Books That Will Make You SwoonMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

Even though you know my answer, I have to say it anyways. YES YOU DOOOOOOOOOOO!

3. Andrea @ Bookish February 11, 2014 at 9:50 am #

I haven’t read any of these! Well, not true. I read Cruel Beauty, but I was in the minority on that as I did not like it.

However, I do have quite a few of these on my TBR list. Definitely looking forward to Throne of Glass and Grave Mercy the most! 🙂
    Andrea @ Bookish recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Will Make You SwoonMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:23 pm #

Oh my word, please let me know when you start? GM is in my top favorite series ever, and so many of my friends ADORE ToG.

4. Wendy @ Book Scents February 11, 2014 at 10:14 am #

Ahhhh your North and South gif!!!!! I definiyely need a rewatch of north and south! 🙂 also, yes completely agree about the ToG novellas!! I haven’t read the girl of fire and thorns yet — I’ve been meaning to!!
    Wendy @ Book Scents recently posted…TTT: Top Ten Books That Will Make You Swoon!My Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

Oh DO! They’re fabulous.

5. Emma February 11, 2014 at 10:18 am #

Great list, Shae! And you reminded me that I’d forgotten Duval (eek!), so I slipped him in at the last minute.
    Emma recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Make Me SwoonMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Haha, it wouldn’t do to forget Duval.

6. Maureen E February 11, 2014 at 10:26 am #

Hector!! And of course you know my feelings on Gen & Irene.

But did you know that I wrote a thesis partly on North & South (book version)? All the swoons!
    Maureen E recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: Books that make me swoonMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

I do think I remember that!

7. Brandy February 11, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Lovely summation of Gen and Irene. And Hector! I love him so much. And Ignifex.
    Brandy recently posted…TTT: Books That Make Me SwoonMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

*cuddles Gen and Irene*

8. Miranda @ Tempest Books February 12, 2014 at 8:19 pm #

I haven’t read any of these books! How is that possible? haha. A lot of them are on my TBR list, though. I REALLY want to read All Our Yesterdays. I preordered it and then just never got to it! That needs to happen soon.
    Miranda @ Tempest Books recently posted…Book Haul (#11): BookOutlet.com (5 books!)My Profile

• Shae February 13, 2014 at 6:08 am #

Clearly, you haven’t lived. 😉 Seriously, though, let me know what you think once you start reading all these beauties!

9. Alexa S. February 13, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

It makes me happy that I can now so fervently agree about the swooning over Hector and Duval! I read both these series nearly back-to-back but I REGRET NOTHING because it was such a wonderful reading time for me. Also, I agree about the Throne of Glass prequel novellas — I definitely swooned over them too 😉
    Alexa S. recently posted…The Bride and the Beast – Teresa Medeiros (Review)My Profile

• Shae February 13, 2014 at 8:18 pm #