#UndertheRadarYA

Once again, the creativity of Twittizens delights me. Dahlia Adler, a Twitter friend with fingers in many pies (seriously, check out her bio), was play-griping one night about how no one had told her how fabulous her current read (Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe by Shelley Corriell) was.

We book-lovers aren’t known for being quiet about our recommendations. We push, cajole, shout, beg, wheedle, and nag our favorites onto our friends’ shelves and to-read (TBR) lists. However, with so many wonderful books coming out every year, some will receive a larger share of the spotlight than others. That share is mostly dependent upon the marketing push by their respective publishing houses, though sometimes other factors play ball as well. Whatever the reason, sometimes excellent books are quickly overshadowed by their more hyped counterparts and quickly forgotten, as was the case for Welcome, Caller, a book that is known but not frequently mentioned. (Welcome, Caller, also came out in 2012, which, as a standalone, makes it practically ancient in Twitter terms.)

So what’s an eager beaver reader to do? Well, if you’re Dahlia, you start a trending hashtag for others to give their own #undertheradarYA recommendations.

I had a blast with this hashtag. While many of my reads are, by necessity, well-promoted upcoming releases that come to me as ARCs, I could think of several books off the top of my head that I felt had been shafted in the way of attention and love. Others clearly felt the same, because the recs start flying so quickly that I could no longer keep up. Dahlia did a great job of compiling the titles that came up multiple times. Below is a list of my own recommendations, though most are titles I’ve already promoted heavily on this blog. (What can I say? I’m tenacious.)

Though hashtags ebb and flow in popularity, they never truly die, so be sure to check out the hashtag on Twitter and add a few recommendations of your own in the comments below. My TBR says

!

My Recs:

*** As a side note, a few of the above books may be the secret contestants in my Blind Book Date giveaway

10 Responses to #UndertheRadarYA

1. Molli February 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm #

I’m going to do my own post about this because I feel like some of these books deserve SO much more love than they get. <3 this post, Shae!
    Molli recently posted…Short HiatusMy Profile

• Shae February 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Yay! Do it and send me the link!

2. Alexa S. February 8, 2014 at 12:27 am #

I totally enjoyed chiming in during #undertheradarYA! It allowed me to learn of quite a few titles that I hadn’t before, and they’re definitely on my list now. Dahlia’s idea was SO AWESOME.
    Alexa S. recently posted…Stacking the Shelves (2)My Profile

• Shae February 8, 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Yes it was!

3. Tammy February 8, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

How To Lead A Life Of Crime- read it, really liked it. Thought it was going to be like an Ally Carter novel but it was more like a YA Gillian Flynn. Not for the faint of heart but very strong characters w/ screwed up morals. All Our Yesterdays- loved! One of my 5 star reads for 2013 but I’m a complete sucker for alternate time lines. Yes I have read the entire Queen’s Thief series but I guess I need to check out the rest of the books on your list. Thanks!

• Shae February 9, 2014 at 8:20 am #

So glad to meet a fellow fan of such wonderful books! Definitely go check out the others.

4. Miranda @ Tempest Books February 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks for the recommendations! I’m definitely checking all of these out on Goodreads 🙂
    Miranda @ Tempest Books recently posted…How Audiobooks Have Changed My LifeMy Profile

• Shae February 11, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

Enjoy!

5. roro February 13, 2014 at 4:27 pm #

Mmm. All are on my wish list on several places . I need all the books . I need :/
    roro recently posted…Review: Out Of The Pocket by Bill KONIGSBERGMy Profile