Top 10 Tuesday – Literary Cat Names

Today is a freebie topic slot on TTT, and I want to talk about pet names. Sure, thinking about naming hypothetical children after favorite characters and authors is fun, but who’s to say we’d ever have the guts to do it? But pets? Pets are fair game. Pets are supposed to be named cool, dorky, nerdy, and/or hilarious things.

Actually, as much as I like the idea of pets, they’re an awful lot of work. (Probably) not surprisingly, I’ve found I do well with cats. I am very much a dog person, but cats are equally cuddly and take less work. There is practically 0% chance I will ever devolve into a crazy cat lady, but since we’re dealing in hypotheticals,ย if I were in charge of naming ten cats, here’s what I would pick.

Name: Eugenides “Gen” Attolis (The Queen’s Thief)

Unlike all the others, this pet is a virtual certainty. I have decreed it. I want a black, shorthaired cat, preferably with an angular, sneaky face. His name shall be Gen (after my favorite MWT character), and I shall love him forever.

Other related options: Irene/Attolia, Helen/Eddis, Sophos/Sounis, Costis, Agape, Ornon, Magus, Pol

Name: Bast (The Kane Chronicles)

“Ew” all you want, ya bigots. I think they’re precious. I think having a cat named after Bast from the Kane Chronicles would be awesome. And while Bast was never a sphynx, I want one, so I’m claiming artistic license.

Other related options: Sekhmet, Sadie

Name: Dread Pirate Roberts

Really, DPR should be another black cat, but I think charcoal bengals are lovely.ย And the name comes with so many built-in quoting options! You could call him “Robbie” or “Dread,” and then when a friend realizes the reference and accuses, “You named him after the Dread Pirate Roberts, admit it!”, you can bow and say, “With pride!”

Other related options: Inigo, Fezzik, Vizzini, Humperdink, Shrieking Eel

Name: Ismae (Grave Mercy)

I think Abyssinians are awfully pretty, and they’re so sleek and elegant-looking. And honestly, the thought of a tiny Ismae running around with a tiny Gen makes me very happy.

Other related options: Sybella, Annith

Name: Flavia de Luce (Flavia de Luce series)

Gotta have a tribute to the cleverest eleven-year-old chemist to grace the pages of literature. Flavia is so dang curious that she would be a perfect cat.

Other related options: Dogger (ha), Gladys

Name: Camicazi (How To Train Your Dragon)

It’s probably tempting fate to name a clever kitten after the most uncatchable Bog Burglar in all of the archipelago, but I need to pay homage to my HTTYD love and I don’t DARE name a pet Toothless. That dragon is trouble.

Other related options: Toothless, Ziggurastica, Hiccup, Fishlegs, Horrorcow, Stormfly, Gobber, Stoick, Snotface Snotlout

Name: Harshaw/Oncat (Ruin and Rising)

I haven’t decided if the cat would be named after the actual cat in the book or the cat’s owner. Either works, really.

Other related options: Tolya, Tamar, Baghra, Sturmhond, Nikolai, Mal, Darkling, Alina, Grisha, Zoya, Genya, David

Name: Seuss

Yep. I would totally get a black and white cat and name it Dr. Seuss. Yes, I would take pictures of it in a hat and possibly a bow tie. No shame.

Other related names: Thing, Cindy Lou Who, Horton, Grinch, Sam-I-Am, Sneetch, Marvin K. Mooney, Bartholomew Cubbins, Foo Foo the Snoo, Wocket

Name: Noah (The Raven Boys)

If you name a kitten after Noah, it will probably hide under tables and chairs, shake in thunderstorms, and be the sweetest thing there ever was.

Other related options: Ronan, Gansey, Parrish, Blue, Cabeswater

Name: Storm (Fire & Thorns)

I was thinking of going a completely different route, but look at this goober. How could you name him anything BUT Storm?

Other related options: Elisa, Hector, Belen, Rosario, Mula, Alejandro, Joya

Honestly, there are so many ways you can go with pet names. Some other possibilities I came up with: Eowyn, Rue, Thornton, Baba Yaga, Kenji, Sassy, Buruu, Po, Roar, Miri…

What literary name have you given your pets or would you if you had one?

17 Responses to Top 10 Tuesday – Literary Cat Names

1. ewein2412 May 19, 2015 at 4:43 am #

Does Yoda count? ๐Ÿ˜€ Cause we used to have a Yoda.

I have also had a cat named Jane Eyre, one named Laura [Ingalls Wilder], and one named Clea after a character in a play by Peter Shaffer called Black Comedy.

• Shae May 19, 2015 at 8:28 am #

There are Star Wars books so that TOTALLY counts. How cute! Thus far, none of my pets have had bookish names, which is fairly upsetting. Our dog is named after Burton Guster on Psych, though.

• ewein2412 May 19, 2015 at 1:10 pm #

I think Clea is pretty cool in its Bohemian obscurity.

2. Amy @ Pages of Starlight May 19, 2015 at 11:01 am #

Aw, they are all so cute. The one you want to name Seuss looks almost just like my Allison, only she has a bit of a white mustache and goatee. The only animal of mine I gave a literary name is my dog Axel (after the nephew in Journey to the Center of the Earth). I’d like to claim that one of my other dogs – Penny – was named after Penelope in Homer’s Odyssey, but that association didn’t come until long after I named her. Such a fun topic you picked, love it!
    Amy @ Pages of Starlight recently posted…Top Ten Favorite TV ShowsMy Profile

• Shae May 20, 2015 at 8:25 am #

Oh those are such cute names! I approve. ๐Ÿ˜€

3. Barb (boxermommyreads) May 19, 2015 at 11:25 am #

I love this idea and even though I am a dog person, those cats are adorable. I think dog named Potter would be cute, but I don’t think the husband would ever go for it. I do have a dog named “Booker T” and we often call him “Book Book” so that’s probably the closest I will ever get.
    Barb (boxermommyreads) recently posted…Top 10 Tuesday – ARCs I need to read and reviewMy Profile

4. Josiphine May 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm #

Our Australian shepherd is named Banjo…after Banjo Paterson. And our (Australian) cockatiel is named Clancy from one of Paterson’s poems.The names you picked are pretty awesome. We have eight new kitties that need names…I might steal some, :D.

• Shae May 20, 2015 at 8:24 am #

Do it, but you have to take pictures of said kitties!

5. Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally May 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm #

OHMYGOD… I love this. My cat already has a literary name (Eponine from Les Miserables) but the next cat I get will definitely have one too and these are some great ideas.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally recently posted…Top Ten Bookish Worlds I Want to VisitMy Profile

• Shae May 20, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Do iiiiiiit.

6. Lisa @ Captivated Reader May 19, 2015 at 3:38 pm #

Fun topic for this week!!
    Lisa @ Captivated Reader recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday — Sexy Male Characters In Fiction!!My Profile

7. CJ Listro May 19, 2015 at 9:29 pm #

I’ve actually put a lot of thought into this. It’s very difficult to choose (though I’d love to steal Oncat). I’m partial to Aramis (The Three Musketeers), Kitten (Wild Magic), Wilde (for Oscar), or Finch (All the Bright Places).

C.J.
    Sarcasm & Lemons
    CJ Listro recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday: C.J.’s Top Ten Book BoyfriendsMy Profile

• Shae May 20, 2015 at 8:23 am #

Aww, cute! I think Wilde is my favorite, though a cat named Finch would be funny/adorable.

8. Maraia May 20, 2015 at 2:55 pm #

Hi, new blog reader here!

This was a great TTT idea. All those cats are so cute! Since I wouldn’t want to name any hypothetical children after Harry Potter characters, I could see myself naming hypothetical pets after them. Dobby or Luna would be adorable names! Or Lupin, Tonks, even Harry. So many possibilities with Harry Potter. I could also see myself naming a cat “Gansey” and then wincing in pain every time I said it.

• Shae May 20, 2015 at 10:36 pm #

Hi! Nice to meet you!

This is my EXACT thought process! Like, I love Elizabeth Wein’s books, right? But those are proper people names. And oh my word, those are adorable picks. I approve. (I won’t let myself consider HP pet names until I finish the books. But still. A+.)

9. Jamie December 1, 2015 at 2:06 pm #

I just finished rereading The Thief series and love the idea of a feline Gen. I’m uncertain if I’d be able to persuade Frank that naming a cat after such a notorious thief is a good idea though. I had no luck at all in trying to convince him to rename our boy Rhett after acquiring Scarlett. And while I have no love for the Sphinx breed, Bastet seems only fitting for a regal feline.