If you happen to be an author, publisher, or other party interested in seeing a review of your book on Shae Has Left The Room, there are a few things you should know.
1) Requests may be sent to me through email. I will not accept requests from any other form of communication.
2) When writing said missive, just call me Shae. “Ms. Shae” or “O Queen of All Knowledge” are also acceptable. I am not “Dear Blogger” or any other impersonal form of address.
3) I can’t believe I even have to say this, but actually talk to me when sending a request. Don’t just paste your little bundle from marketing into an email and hit send. Otherwise, I’m going to assume you just added me to a mass mailing list with everyone else.
3) Understand that while I am genuinely flattered to be solicited for a review, I reserve the right to reject any request I wish without explanation.
4) I do not accept compensation for my reviews. Thank you, but I prefer to retain the high ground of objectivity.
5) I will be honest in my review. If I didn’t like aspects of the book, I will say so. I understand that this book is a product of great labor on your part, so I will do my best to remain objective at all times, but my taste may not reflect yours. It’s as simple as that.
6) I may choose NOT to review your book after I’ve read it. I’m not going to waste my time or my readers’ time with a book that I could barely finish. And while traditionally published authors have a bit more cushion, I certainly don’t want to damage a fledgling indie pubbed author with a scathing review. It’s a case-by-case decision, one that I’ll remind you of when I respond to your request.
7) I am willing to schedule author interviews and participate in blog tours and giveaways upon request (but see my previous note about my reserved right to reject requests).
8) I choose when to post my reviews. I have a life and a blog schedule which constantly battle each other. If you have a specific deadline that you wish to impose for your review, you may ask nicely. I may also say no nicely, but it never hurts to ask (again, nicely).
9) I post my reviews here, on LibraryThing, and on Goodreads. That’s it.
10) I do not accept self-published books at this time.
11) I categorically refuse to review erotica, poetry, or nonfiction. Ever. The end.
12) As a general rule, I do not read or review short stories or novellas. Full-length fiction only, please.